By Marge Lewter
Think you know all that there is to know about garage sales? Take this quick quiz to determine your level of expertise.
What is the estimated number of yard sales in the US each week? According to StatisticBrain.com, there are an estimated 165,000-yard sales in the United States each week.
What is the estimated total weekly revenue from yard sales in the US?
According to StatisticBrain.com, the estimated total revenue from yard sales in the United States each week is approximately $4,222,375.
The World’s Longest Yard Sale stretches how many miles?
The World’s Longest Yard Sale, known as the 127 Corridor, spans 690 miles along Highway 127 from Michigan to Alabama.
Which state has the most yard sales per capita?
According to Gsalr.com, Oregon has the highest amount of yard sales per capita.
What is the #1 reason people shop at garage sales?
According to Gsalr.com data, 43 percent of website visitors shop yard sales just for fun. 26 percent said they shop to save money and 18 percent said they shop to resell items for a profit.
The Craig County Public Library wants to bring the shoppers to Craig County in a few weeks to enjoy the fun of yard sales. There will be a book sale at the library and numerous yard sales around town. Send your name to us, and we will advertise your yard sale for you. Let’s make it an annual spring event that we can all look forward to! If you have items to sell, but you live “out of the way,” use our parking lot to set up a table. Contact the library for details and a reserved spot.
If you’re not hosting, help us out by shopping at our book sale and spreading the word to your friends! Our tagline is “Get Connected,” and this is just one of the ways we connect people and ideas together!
- April 14-21 Volunteer Appreciation Week. Thank a volunteer, become a volunteer. You are appreciated!
- Friday, April 20 – Stargazing with Roanoke Valley Astronomy Club. Craig Valley Baptist Church picnic shelter. (Across from Extension office on route 615) 8 p.m. Telescope instruction will be provided. The event takes place only if the weather is clear. Call the library at 864-8978 if there are any questions.
- Saturday, April 21 – Community Yard Sale. Have your yard sale and let’s spread the word about the treasures to be found in Craig County. Look for our Facebook posts to share with your friends, and please do let us know the time and address of your yard sale!
- May 1 – Deadline is extended for the photo contest. Theme: Historic Treasures of Craig County. Submit photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. Gift card prizes for Food Country for winners in three categories: children, teens and adults.
- May 22 – Friends of the Library is hosting local author Dr. Mary Mc Donald of Catawba for our annual meeting and spring event. Check out her wonderful book, The Magnet. Stay tuned for details.
- Interested in becoming a trustee or a volunteer? Contact us at email@example.com!